I am more than excited and humbled to have been nominated for the Sunshine Blogger Award. I will like to give a special thanks to “I’m choosing Joy” for nominating me, and believing that my work on mental health is worth recognizing.
The Sunshine Blogger Award is an award created by bloggers to recognize other bloggers for spreading positive and inspirational content, and for working so hard!
The rules for nomination for the Sunshine Blogger Award are:
a. Thank the blogger who nominated you and link to their blog. www.imchoosingjoy.com
b. Display the Sunshine Blogger Logo on your post.
c. List the rules in your blog post.
d. Answer the 11 questions that were provided by the blogger that nominated you.
e. Nominate 11 other bloggers for the award!
f. Provide your nominees with 11 questions to answer.
Here are my answers!
1. If there was one thing you wish people could understand about you what would it be?
I wish people would understand that living with depression or anxiety is not a sign of weakness.
I have been fighting depression and anxiety for some time now. Nonetheless, it wasn’t until recently that I felt I could be open about it. The reason for that is simple, stigma. The hardest part for me was the stigma of mental health illness as a sign of weakness. I took me a while to realize that stigma is often associated with ignorance, and that people that struggle with mental health are strong.
We are mental health warriors! We are not weak, we are strong!
2. What is the greatest obstacle you’ve overcome in your life?
Unrealistic expectations set by me and only me. As silly as it sounds, I am often not bothered by unrealistic expectations set by my boss, colleagues or family. However, I am troubled with myself every single time I set expectations that I won’t be able to achieve because they are unreal.
One of the things I have been working on with my therapist is actually understanding that I am not Wonder Woman nor perfect, and that I will never be able to acknowledge my achievements if I continue to set expectations that I will never be able to reach.
3. If you could only use one sentence to give your best life advice, what would that sentence be?
God is with you at all times therefore, don’t give up; you are strong and capable.
4. What is the weirdest thing you have ever seen on an infomercial?
Happy Hot Dog Man. It is not the weirdest thing I have seen in my life, but definitely a weird invention. I guess, a happy hot dog is something worth investing on (?).
5. Are you a morning person or a night owl?
Night Owl. Mornings are just not for me, just ask my husband.
6. Use only three words to describe what makes you happy.
God, Family and Food!
7. If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life what would it be?
Rice with beans, and fish. Although pizza comes very close.
8. If you went to college, what did you study? If you didn’t go to college, what would you major in if you did decide to go?
I have a B.S. in Microbiology, and I am currently working on a PhD in Immunology.
9. What is the smartest decision you have ever made?
The smartest decision of my life has been pursuing my dreams. I believe that pursuing my dreams have made me a strong, independent and very capable woman. Additionally, my dreams and goals have lead me to other decisions that have made a positive impact in my life.
One of those decisions has been marrying my husband, whom I met in our journey to graduate school. If I wouldn’t have pursued my dream to become a scientist, I wouldn’t have met him.
10. What is one risk you would like to take that you are too afraid to try?
Talking openly and with little filters about the consequences that my struggle with depression and anxiety have brought to my life.
Even though I have learned that stigma shouldn’t limit me (or anyone else), and that stigma comes simply due to the lack of education, stigma still holds me back. I finally brought myself to accept my mental illnesses and openly tell people about it. Yet, I still struggle with sharing the downstream effects of depression and anxiety. For example, how depression lead to self-harm or self-destructive behavior, among other things.
I know though that one day, I will be able to share my experiences. Just not today.
11. Skydiving. Yes or No?
YES, although I haven’t had the chance to do it yet.
I will like to nominate:
The Frozen Mind
Fun Productive Day
Life Fully Booked
Anchor on the Bright Side
Find Good Vibes
The Anxiety Man
What You Blog About
Questions for nominees:
1. What are your best qualities?
2. What place would you like to visit and why?
3. What is your comfort food or snack?
4. What book would you absolutely recommend?
5. What is your favorite movie or TV show?
6. What is one activity you do every year?
7. How would you describe self-care, and what are your top 3 self-care strategies?
8. Do you have a mantra? If so, which one is it?
9. If you had the opportunity to say something to your younger self, what would it be?
10. What would you prefer, cat or dog?
11. What you enjoy the most about blogging and building an online business?